Wednesday, January 30, 2013

Homeless Children I Have A Dream

by Apple Goodthree

Today at the school they wrote their own Martin Luther King, Jr, "I have a dream" speeches.  The first one I saw was by a ten year old girl named K.  It got me, so I asked if I could take a picture of it.  K was all for it and the teacher was too.
School for homeless children (4th graders) where I live, this is what I saw today. "My dream is that people that don't have a roof to live under, have one so they don't get dirty. Also, everyone I want to have food to eat and to clean the world so we can have a better place to live in." Thank you K. You are awesome. I am with you.

The other one was written by E.  I only took three photos.  That was enough.  What is it like for a fourth grader to grow up with these thoughts?  Does this affect learning?  How can we help?

E has a "dream that the world was good," and a dream that "there was no gun shooting at night." Read this. We can help. Be a great example. I think E says in the end, "people are as great as they can be." Start today, be great and increase greatness.
Here is the third one by D.

That one day people will be nice.
It sounds simple, but if people could be nice.  There is a lot going on with these kids.  That is, there is less stability.  So, learning is affected.  There is not an regular evening meal with mom, dad and family.  The meals come from different places if they come.  As E said, there is gun shooting at night.  This creates fear inside, which is going to take away from learning.

People learn better in conditions of safety.  Growth is affected otherwise.  As K said, a roof over their head. My sister pointed out, "did you notice how the girl, K, didn't ask for anything for herself?"

No comments:

Post a Comment